219 First Street
Vacant (Anthes Store, Clyde Garage, Mike's Place )
1891/1892: Jacob Anthes Store and home
1892. Jacob Anthes' Store and Post Office (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society).
Town founder Jacob Anthes built his store and home at the S.E. corner of First Street and Anthes Avenue in 1891/1892 to serve the needs of the anticipated residents. This location made it one of the first commercial structures to be seen as people came up the hill from the wharf. The store also served as post office until 1904 with Anthes as postmaster.
Maple tree saplings planted by Jacob along the south side of First Street and both sides of Anthes Avenue became a prominent feature of these streets for several decades.
Circa 1907. First Street looking west Courtesy Island County Historical Society).
1910: Anthes' Store and home burn
Fire was a constant worry and became a force for change in the downtown during the early decades of the 20th century. Anthes' store and home burned to the ground on October 23, 1910 under suspicious circumstances. The space remained empty for nearly 25 years.
1935/1936: Norman Clyde Motors
1936. Norman Clyde garage (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society).
Norman Clyde built a garage (his second) at the corner of First and Anthes Avenue on the site vacant since Anthes' Store burned in 1910. He named it "Norman Clyde Motors." The building in the background to the left of the garage housed the city hall and fire department.
1937. Clyde Theatre next to the Norman Clyde Garage (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society).
Norman next constructed the Clyde Theatre next to his garage in 1937. The popcorn machine was stored in the garage when not in use. A two-story addition to the south end of the original garage was also added in 1937.
Circa 1950. Norman Clyde Motors (Courtesy Richard Clyde).
1954: Richard Clyde buys the garage
Circa 1979. Clyde Motors (Courtesy Michael Boyd).
Norman's son Richard Clyde bought the garage from his father in 1954, and shortened the name to "Clyde Motors." Richard's wife, Jaunita, operated an antique shop called "Grannie's Attic" above the south end of the garage.
1988: Clyde Garage "Remodeled"
1988. Demolishing the south end of the garage (Courtesy Ron Childers).
Richard Clyde retired in 1988 and sold the buiding was "remodeled." Grannie's Attic was removed and a second story added. A large cistern built to serve Jacob Anthes' home and store was uncovered in the southeast end of the garage during the demolition. The building was sold to Charles Hill and Judy Swan who planned to open a bakery, deli and retail shops. This venture was short-lived, and the building was sold to Mike Rosenberg who moved his "Mike's Place" restaurant from the building on the other side of the Clyde Theatre into the remodeled building in 1989.
1989: Mike's Place
1995. Mike's Place (Courtesy Ron Childers)
The interior of the building was remodeled in 2005 with the addition of an ice cream counter, easy chairs, and chess sets to the front of the restaurant. After the 2005 remodel, "Many people come to Mike's Place to enjoy the food, ice cream and coffee, but they also just like to hang out. There is a couple that likes to sit and knit together, fathers and sons that come in to place chess, and mothers and daughters who come in to chat and sit by the fire. It's a family gathering type place."(Rosenberg interview in Record, 2005). Mike's Place closed in 2012.
2014. Sign on east wall of Mike's Place (Courtesy Robert Waterman).
The advertising signs for Mobil Motor Oil on the east side of the original Norman Clyde Garage may still be seen in the space between the former Mike's Place and adjacent Clyde Theatre (left).